סיפור עצוב מתוך מחקר אנטאופולוגי

סיפור עצוב מתוך מחקר אנטאופולוגי

סיפור עצוב מתוך מחקר אנטאופולוגי על נכים בני מיעוטים בשכונות עוני מוכות פשע. שימו לב שחסרונה של אם בנעורים היה אחת הסיבות לפיתוח נכות אצל האישה המרואיינת. היא פיתחה עיוורון ומחלת כליות בגלל הזנחה של סכרת: (אין בעיה עם זכויות היוצרים כי זה קטע קצרצר ממאמר ארוך)
Cheryl: The Journey of Living with a Disability: I was diagnosed a diabetic at the age of 12 years. Although I had the tools and the knowledge, no care was taken. I was advised on what I should do, what diet to follow, and what would happen. At 12, I did not know the seriousness of it. It created other problems. My vision deteriorated and my kidneys as well. My mother died of a tumor when I was 8 years old. No mother was at home to cook proper meals. I could not cook. I was living with my father and two sisters at the Henry Homer projects. My father was a working man. He worked 5 days. He made sure that there was food in the house. We were given lunch money for school but instead we went to get potato chips, L's, burgers, ice cream, hot dogs, fries. We used to eat it at the sweet eating bench [i.e., an outside bench on which unhealthy fast food is eaten]. I was the oldest in the house and had two sisters to look after. I mostly did what I wanted to when I wanted to do it. For example, I would not take my medications, and I had a child at the age of 15. My diabetes got worse and I had to take insulin. I dropped out in my sophomore year and later went back to school. During the pregnancy I continued to live at home. The father of the child was not involved in taking care of the child, but his mother helped to take care of the child. I got back into school and got a job and worked during all this time. At the age of 18 I'm still not taking care of my diabetes. I still was not checking my sugar. I still did not have that discipline. I went on to a junior college for 2 years, where I got courses in clerical training. I dropped out because I was sick with diabetes. I started working at a public aid office. When I was pregnant with my second child, I moved out on my own. I had to move back home with my Dad after problems with the landlord. He provided no heat and I was not paying rent. I was on public aid and food stamps. I had stopped working at the public aid office because I took time off and took care of the children. I was a person who was doubtful of herself. I did not have a lot of self-esteem. All this time, I am not taking care of my health. I ate what I wanted to eat and how much I wanted to eat. When I finally had my GED, this was a great thing. I got an accounting job in a candy company. I worked therefore 8 years. I was in the mix. I had a real job, I had a GED, my kids were healthy and fine, I was fine. After 4 years working there, my vision started to decrease. I remember one day when I was at work. In my vision, I could see red spots go and come. I went back to the optometrist. It was bleeding in the back of my pupil. This is diabetic retinopathy. They gave me laser treatment. They gave me better vision, but it did not correct my vision. My vision was steadily decreasing. The doctor gave me some bad news and that I would have to have surgery. I had blind spots on the right eye. They could not save my left eye. They did surgery, but they could not save my vision. I was referred to the Lighthouse for the Blind and received assistance for low-vision aids and assistance with my job to read. Three years later, my kidneys went bad. I continued to work and did peritoneal dialysis. It was a real hassle because having to go to work every day, I had to take the dialyzer with the bottle. I changed to hemodialysis. The other method required discipline. I must have been light on myself then. I did not want to believe it. I was denying. It went on for a long time; I was going through the motions. I was doing the dialysis, but in my mind it was like it was somebody else. This disease is really ugly. It sneaks on you if you don't take care of it. It is so quiet. It tears you down. I didn't lead on how serious things were. I just lived my life. If I had an ailment, I let nobody know about it. People get sick when you tell them how sick you are. מקור: Your Experience Is Not My Experience The Concept and Experience of Disability on Chicago's Near West Side Patrick J. Devlieger, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven and University of Illinois at Chicago, and Gary L. Albrecht, University of Illinois at Chicago​

OK, סיימתי לקרוא ...

האמת שבמקרה של האישה הזו, אובדן האם הוא חלק ממכלול גדול של בעיות שעברה. ההיבט הרלוונטי שלנו הוא הסכנה שבהזנחה של צרכים בסיסיים של ילדה, שגם לא היה אף אחד אחר שישגיח עליה כתחליף לאם. אולי הצרכים והביות של הכותבת לא היו הדוגמא היומיומית שתמצא, אבל לילד צרכים שונים ומגוונים שצריכים להיות ממולאים, וצריך לקחת בחשבון שרעב וצמא והקפדה על תרופות הם היבטים יותר חיצוניים ופיסיולוגיים, אבל יש גם היבטים פנימיים ונפשיים שאינם גלויים לעין, וגם הם צריכים להיות ממולאים. וכמובן יש את האישיות של הילד. ישנם ילדים שדווקא נוכח האסון שפקד אותם יהפכו להיות יותר אחראים ומנהלים את עצמם עצמאית, ואחרים שיתדרדרו ולאט לאט יתרחקו מכל מסגרת.

למעלה