חבר הלאומים הבריטי Commonwealth

אריק ל

חבר הלאומים הבריטי Commonwealth

סתם שאלה - למה ישראל, אחרי הקמתה, לא הצטרפה לחבר הלאומים הבריטי? הרי רוב החברים בארגון הזה הם רפובליקות (כלומר שמלכת אנגליה היא לא ראש המדינה), ולכולם יש קשר עבר או הווה לשלטון הבריטי או לאחת מחברי החבר. אם ישראל תצטרף, יוכלו אזרחי ישראל לקבל מעמד של British Subjects, כלומר יוכלו לטייל למדינות אחרות החברות בחבר הלאומים ללא ויזה, וגם יוכלו להגיע לאנגליה ולהצביע ואפילו להציע מועמדות לבית הנבחרים. אני לא רואה פה הפסדים רבים, במיוחד ש-1.7 מיליארד בני אדם ברחבי העולם הם British Subjects (כולל הודו, פקיסטן, ניגריה, מלטה, קפריסין וכו'). עוד מידע כאן: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Commonwealth

המנדט!!!!!!!!!!!

הבריטים זלזלו ביהודים בתקופת המנדט שלהם בארץ וגילו יחס מעודד ואכפתי כלפי הישוב הערבי(היום זה קצת השתנה !). הבריטים לא רצו לתהיה לישראל מדינה, משפני האינטרס שלהם היה אנטרס כלל ערבי תוך שיתוף פעולה עם הערבים.(למרות הצהרת בלפור!) חוץ מזה אני חושב שמגיע לעם הקטן והעתיק הזה ששמו ישראל מדינה עצמית וחופשית ללא כל תלות או חסות של מדינה אחרת!!!!!

אריק ל

ברור

גם באפריקה ובהודו הבריטים אל זכורים לטובה, ובכל זאת מדינות אלו הצטרפו לחבר המדינות הבריטיות. חוץ מזה, שהחבר הזה תמיד פתוח לכל מדינה - גם עוד 20 שנה נוכל להצטרף לזה. ודבר אחרון - לא מדובר פה בשום חסות או תלות באנגליה - לא תיהיה לנו שום התחייבות חוקתית לווסטמיניסטר. פשוט מדובר בארגון שיעניק לאזרחים פה יותר פתיחות לעולם הגדול, ואנחנו הרי יודעים שכמעט כל מדינה היום חברה בארגון אזורי גדול. רוב מדינות אירופה חברות באיחוד האירופאי. מדינות ערב חברות בליגה הערבית. מדינות אמריקה חברות בחבר המדינות האמריקניות. רק ישראל לא חברה בשום מקום. זו טעות טקטית, במיוחד שמדובר בכך שגוף כזה, שיוכל להעניק לישראל גיבוי אדיר באו"ם (אחרי הכל, מדובר ב-30% מתושבי כדוה"א). מה גם שאין שם שום מדינה ערבית (למרות שירדן ומצרים יכלו להצטרף אם רצו, וגם עיראק. אבל הם לא מצטרפות בגלל האוריינטציה המערבית של הגוף הזה), והודו, חברה טובה של מדינת ישראל, חברה שם.

אריק ל

תיקון טעות

"שהחבר הזה תמיד פתוח לכל מדינה" = "שהחבר הזה תמיד פתוח לכל מדינה שהייתה תחת שלטון בריטי או קשורה לשלטון בריטי בעבר או בהווה".

stevie1

Some history

becasue the British "ruled" Israel as representatives of the UN, unlike the situations in other, now known as Commonwealth countries.​

אריק ל

This is not true

As mentioned in the Wiki-article: "Members are required to have a present or past constitutional link to the UK or to another Commonwealth member. Not all members have close ties to the UK" Also, it is mentioned that "The United States, Egypt, and Israel have never shown an interest in joining the Commonwealth, despite their respective histories of British rule". So Israel can be a member of the Commonwealth.​

stevie1

ok

so Israel could have been but decided not to. At the end of the day it is not up to you and me, and like I said below, it is not of Israel's interest for its citizens to be subjects of Britain. We can speculate till we go blue in the face (I assume it is because you want to be a British subject) but it will not change anything so it is a pointless discussion.​

stevie1

also

as far as I am aware; british subject status is not = citizenship. to be able to vote in the UK you have to be a citizen. as a british subject you can apply for citizenship after living in the UK for 5 years. why does all this matter? It is not in Israel's interest to become a commonwealth country and for its citizens to be british subjects.​

אריק ל

Here's what the British embassy has to say about the right to vote and be elected: "All British citizens together with citizens of other Commonwealth countries and citizens of the Irish Republic resident in Britain may vote, provided they are aged 18 years or over and not legally barred from voting." "Any person aged 21 or over who is a British citizen or citizen of another Commonwealth country or the Irish Republic may stand for election to Parliament" http://www.britemb.org.il/generaluk/faqsconstitution.html As for Israel's interest in becomming a member of the Commonwealth - I already said what are the benefits. I believe that Israel should join the Commonwealth instead of the EU, as many suggest. Why is it not in Israel's interest to become a Commonwealth country?​

stevie1

I took my information

from the Home Office website: "If you are a British subject you are entitled, on applying, to be registered as a British citizen after you have lived in the United Kingdom for five years (see Note K)." British subjects have to apply to become British citizens after residing in the UK for at least 5 years. They are therefore not able to vote for British parlaiment before they are citizens, as non-citizens do not have the right to vote. The benefits you have stated are not benefits for Israel, they are benefits for the people (I am assuming you want to be a British subject and this is the reason for this).​

אריק ל

You are assuming too much

"...as non-citizens do not have the right to vote" This might be true in most coutries, but as I showed from the British embassy web page, this is not true. British Subjects are all citizens of Commonwealth countries. They are entitled to vote and to be elected in England. "I am assuming you want to be a British subject and this is the reason for this" I don't mine being a British Subject, I just think that Israel should be a member in some international organiztion. The Arabs are all members of Arab League. Most Europeans are members of the EU. Most American people (from the US and other states) are members of the American organization. Israel should not be alone, as in today's world coutries that do not belong to any organization do not survive well. I believe that Israel should not join the EU, because it will enable states like France and Germany to put pressure on our country and it will enable the right of return for Palestinians in case a Palestinian state will be an EU member. So I see the Commonwealth as the only place Israel could fit in and that it won't harm us. India, which is one of Israel's best ally, is also a member of the Commonwealth, and by joining Israel could improve it's relation with India and other states (UK, Cyprus etc.).​

stevie1

I assume nothing

British citizens are allowed to vote for the British parliament even if they are outside of the UK. Citizens of the Commonwealth are only entitled to vote if they live in the UK.​

אריק ל

This is not what you wrote

You wrote that non-British citizens are not entitled to vote. I wrote that Commonwealth citizens are allowed to vote. So pleae, don't change your words just no escape from admmiting you were wrong.​

stevie1

no

citizens of commonwealth is different from british subject. anyway, this "argument" is quite petty. if you feel this strongly about this you should speak to an israeli minister (or wait for pigs to fly)​

lernery

תקים אתר בנושא

סתם. זה רעיון נהדר, לדעתי. אני חושב שהסיבה שלא מימשו אותו היא שיש כאן יותר מדי אנשים שמרנים מהתקופה שבריטניה החזיקה במנדט על הארץ. סטיב - אני לא מבין מה יש לנו להפסיד כאן. אולי לא נרוויח כל כך הרבה, אבל אני לא רואה שום הפסד. למה שלא ננצל את זה?

Woking

you live in the past mate

The notion of who is a British Subject has been changed several times through the 20th century and no longer has the meaning you are referring to. Even if Israel joined the commonwealth today (a truly preposterous idea that it is) Israeli citizens would NOT become British Subjects.​

למעלה